Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 Payroll Tax Update Notes
Author: Andrew Karasev
If your organization processes US Payroll internally in Microsoft Dynamics GP 10, 9.0 or earlier version: GP 8.0, 7.5, Great Plains 7.0, 6.0, 5.5, 5.0, in this small publication we would like to review annual Payroll Tax rates update methods. It is always good recommendation to stay enrolled in Microsoft Business Solutions annual enhancement program (if you do so – you should have access to Customer Source where you can always download US and Canadian Payroll Tax updates, plus you have access to discounted technical support from MBS directly, access to Service Packs and patches download, you receive new version registration keys and much more). If you do not have support, this is also not the end of the World, just contact your Microsoft Dynamics GP Partner or call our office. Let’s review annual Payroll Tax update details:
1. Tax Update, available from MBS Customer Source. These updates are the most complete – they include all the rates (State, Federal, including income Tax, its Statuses and status related Tables, as you would see it on 1040 form instructions, municipal taxes, such as New York resident and non resident, FICA Social Security and FICA Medicare). At this time for the year 2010 you can get Tax Update packages from MBS for two supported versions: Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 and 9.0.
2. Old versions Great Plains US Payroll Tax Update method. If your version is below 9.0 (Great Plains Dynamics, eEnterprise and Dynamics C/S+ 8.0, 7.5, 7.0, 6.0, 5.5, 5.0, 4.0, 3.2), we update tax tables directly via SQL update scripts. There are few exceptions (Missouri, for example), where State tax formulae was changed. For the rest of us, state and federal taxes, SS and Medicare should be accurate.
3. Payroll Tax Update for Great Plains Dynamics on Pervasive SQL or Ctree. Here we use the same method as in #2, however connection is via ODBC and Pervasive SQL 2000 or Ctree ODBC driver, which we have to install and create either SQL Linked Server (if you have Microsoft SQL Server in your organization), or create connection in Microsoft Access. For you as the customer, in means that we have to spend more time on your Tax Update project, so call us for the Quote
4. Dynamics GP 10.0 US and Canadian Tax Update with Service Pack 4. We recommend you to deploy tax update with Service Pack 4 (the download, where Tax update is incorporated with Service Pack 4 for GP 10.0). By applying this Patch you will also get new 1099 form report (which you will be sending to your Vendors in February 2010)
5. Challenge to do it by hand. Sometimes we hear questions – why do we just change several tax rates by hand. The answer is simple – theoretically you can do it. It is very simple to update rates for your State (assuming all your employees are in one or several US States). Then, it is simple enough to update FICA Medicare (no limits) and FICA Social Security (with Limit). But real challenge is to update all Federal Income Tax filing statuses with brackets (From To), plus there is some challenge to update EIC
6. Canadian Payroll Tax Update Service. We offer this service to orphan Canadian customers in French Quebec and the rest of English speaking Canada for Dynamics GP versions 10.0 and 9.0
7. Please, give us a call 1-866-528-0577 email@example.com